Monday, July 22, 2013

Hello world

My plan is to review movies on this blog, whether they be ones released yesterday or ones released back when Cary Grant was just getting his start. I want to review every movie I've seen this year, old or new.

A word about star ratings: I use 'em for the sake of convenience. Roger Ebert once said, "Any movie rating system is of course arbitrary and silly," and it won't do any good to try and compare two films with the same star rating. Stars will tell you immediately whether a film is worth seeing or not (the threshold generally being three stars), and that's why I like to see and use them, because I know whether a critic liked or disliked a movie immediately.

Here's a quick guide to the star ratings I'll use:
* - Bad
** - Poor
*** - Good
**** - Great

Half-stars mean that the motion picture in question had a little something extra to push its rating up.

No comments:

Post a Comment